In April 1940, Germany established the so-called Skagerack blockade, which effectively eliminated Sweden’s access to the world’s oceans. Sweden eventually negotiated an agreement to allow a few of Nordstjernan’s vessels safe passage through the area for the remainder of the war.
Nordstjernan lost ten vessels during the war. A total of 128 crewmen lost their lives. Yet at the end of the war, Nordstjernan had 24 vessels – more than it had when the war broke out.
In the 1940s, the Consul General’s business group was further strengthened through the acquisition of the Lindholmens Varv shipyard in Gothenburg. During the same period, the company added a number of engineering companies to its roster, including Karlstads Mekaniska Werkstad/Kamewa and its world-famous propellers.
In 1947, the Consul General decided in his will to donate 80 percent of the capital in Nordstjernan to a foundation for public benefit, to primarily promote science, and a minor share of the capital to a family foundation. The family foundation was given the multiple-vote
shares in Nordstjernan. On August 3, 1958, the will and donation entered into force.